Hands down, brisket might just be?one of my most favorite meals; growing up Jewish, it was?served at practically every holiday. For me, it’s the perfect?combination of nostalgia, taste and comfort food. And while my mother?s recipe is tried and true (to be posted at a later date), I?m always on the hunt for a good brisket recipe. Throw in the crockpot?element and this dish goes to the top of my favorite list.
Slow cooked and simmered for 10 hours in a sauce of sweetness and spice, the complex flavors leave you with a meal that?s as comforting and tasty?as it is easy. When you walk in the door at the end of a long day to a house smelling of this BBQ Beef, you?ll be rewarded with aromas of what I sometimes call ?beef candy.? Serve it sandwich style, atop?traditional pub buns?or gluten free focaccia, alongside a cool and refreshing cole slaw (recipe to follow) with?a side of roasted potatoes. And just try and save some for leftovers?I dare you.
1 1/2 cups?ketchup
1/2 cup?packed?dark brown sugar
1/4 cup?finely chopped?yellow onion
3 tablespoons?cider vinegar
2 tablespoons bourbon (optional, but recommended)
3 tablespoons?Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon back strap molassas
2?chipotles peppers in adobo?sauce, finely chopped (seeds, sauce and all)
3 cloves crushed garlic
3/4 teaspoon?freshly ground?black pepper
BRISKET DRY RUB:
1/4 cup?Hungarian paprika
1 tablespoon?chili powder
1 tablespoon?ground cumin
1 tablespoon?packed?dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon?kosher salt
1 teaspoon?cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon?garlic powder
1 teaspoon?freshly ground?black pepper
5-pounds of untrimmed?beef brisket
- Add all of the barbecue sauce ingredients to a 3-quart or larger slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Place all of the brisket dry rub ingredients except the brisket in a small bowl and combine well.
- If roast is whole, cut brisket in half widthwise so you have 2 pieces. Evenly coat it with the spice rub and place the 2 brisket pieces in the slow cooker, fat side up.
- Cover and cook on low about 10 hours.
- Remove the brisket from the slow cooker, trim and discard excess fat, slice meat against the grain into ? inch slices and return to slow cooker.
- Turn slow cooker to high, and cook in the barbecue sauce for an extra 20-30 minutes.
- Remove meat gently and build sandwiches to your liking.
Use your imagination for leftovers (if you have any). I love them over hashbrowns with an easy over egg atop, equally deeelish with steamed rice.