A soup that’s easy to make, comforting, satisfying and healthy? That’s one I’ll make again and again. Roasted & Curried Cauliflower Soup checks off all those boxes. Enjoy this soup with some crusty bread and a simple salad and you have a dinner that pleases guests of all ages.
The apples are?my favorite?topping, there’s something about the sweet and tart flavors that work so well against the spicy?and savory qualities of the soup. And when the apples crisp up, they have a lightness that both brightens and lifts the meal. I also love?this soup with toasted sliced almonds, caramelized onions and of course?drumroll please? bacon crumbles (go figure). All are delicious, it’s a matter of individual taste and what you have on hand.
Pair this wine with an aromatic white wine like a dry Riesling, a Gewerztraminer or my personal wine of choice, Chaberton Siegerrebe (click here for the full report).
Serves 12 as a Tapa
(Modified from The Spanish Table cookbook)
1 loaf of ready-made dough (or gluten free focacia dough)
2 T olive oil
1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
2 jars (16 oz) of roasted red peppers in oil ? half-inch slices
5 T cane juice sugar
2 T sherry vinegar
2 T water
? t sea salt
Confectioners sugar for dusting
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add onion.
- Cook until soft, do not brown ? 5 minutes
- Drain peppers,?add and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add sugar, vinegar, water and stir until sugar dissolves
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid is reduced, stirring occassionally (about 10 minutes)
- Season with salt and let cool
- Preheat oven to 450?
- Put dough on oiled cookie sheet, brush with olive oil and top with pepper mixture
- Bake on center rack about 20 minutes, let cool, cut into small pieces and lightly dust with confectioners sugar
Serve while warm with a delicious?bottle of Raptor Ridge 2013 Tempranillo.